Monday, November 9, 2009

Tips to Amp Up Your Motivation!

Every one us could use a little extra motivation every now and then especially when finals, the holidays and the winter blues are approaching. So, here's some tips to help you stay driven and focused.

1.Save And Display All Of Your Old Pictures:
Visual stimulation is very effective. By looking at old pictures, whether you want to see improvement or look like what you look like in your pictures, either way it can definately be effective. Last competition season my team mate took pictures of me in January, the first day I started cutting. By April, I couldn't believe the transformation and it was helpful to be able to look back at the January picture along the way.

2. Look At The Transformations Of Others:
Reading inspirational stories of others is a great way to put things in perspective and inspire you to reach your own goals!

3. Buy Clothes At Your Target Size:
Along the cutting journey towards April's competition date, I found myself constantly buying new clothes. At first it seemed cumbersome and I eventually gave up and just wore things baggy, but I think it would be a great motivational tool to purchase a piece of clothing that is either too small or too big and then use it as a gauge to monitor your progress. ***Don't forget to throw away the receipt so that you can't quit along the way.

4. Write Down Everything!
Whether it be on scraps of paper or in a journal, write down what you do each day. Seeing your progress in ink is a awesome way to know you are moving toward your goal.

5. Find Support From Loved Ones:
Share your success!

6. Change Up Your Routine:
Every 4-6 weeks change up your routine. Switch out old exercises for new or more challenging ones. Switch indoor cardio for an outside version. Another added bonus, add new songs to your i-pod to get you through those cardio sessions!

7. Work Around People That Are Motivated
Nothing can get you more motivated than seeing someone next to you with a top physique. Being surrounded by top-notch athletes gives you a challenge. You are seeing true-inspiration first hand. At the competitions that I did, I found that these types of people are walking knowledge bases and jump at the opportunity to share their knowledge with you.

4 comments:

  1. Those are all good tips in order to help motivate yourself. Switching up your routine every now and then is definately helpful along with the writing down notes. I used to write down notes when I was working out and every 1-2 weeks I would try to improve in the amount of weight I was using. Definately helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips. I have a really hard time staying motivated to go the gym, and often times I will skip it for days or even weeks on end. Not really a good thing. Going with another person definitely helps, but it's hard to find another person with the same schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a great to blog about right before the stress of end of the semester rush arounds start to kick in. Many people, including myself tend to get stressed out and I personally tend to not be motivated enough to get my work done because the holiday is just around the corner and I would rather be at home in my nice comfy bed! Ha, but finding support, changing my routine and writing down everything will definitely keep me motivated to get through it all, being the reward at the end is a nice vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good tips to motivation. Every person has something different that motivates them. This blog had many great ideas, along with the other comments above and their suggestions, this is one of the better blogs that I have read thus far.

    ReplyDelete